Directions: There are some incomplete sentences in this part. Beneath each sentence you will see four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence and mark your answer on the Answer Sheet.
1. Plants use the carbon, along with sunlight, for growth, and ~ oxygen into the atmosphere in a process known as photosynthesis.
A. release B. retain C. relieve D. relate
2. When you’ve finished reading a book, and the pages are filled with your notes in the, you know you read actively.
A. intervals B. borders C. margins D. edges
3. Charles is my all-weather friend. When I honestly need his , he is on myside.
A. permission B. comprehension C. support D. debates
4. Many Chinese restaurants pride themselves __ their cooking and service.
A. with B. about C. on D. of
5. The artist __ his trip to Paris because he was ill.
A. put up B. went off C. called off D. closed down
6. The fast development of the world economy will __ many new problems.
A. bring about B. bring around C. bring out D. bring up
7. A global firm’s profits can __ dramatically depending on the strength of its home currency and the currencies of the countries in which it operates.
A.convert B.vary C. change D. alter
8. Sometimes even the smallest thing will upset an __ person.
A. annoyed B. irritated C. irritable D. angry
9. The CEO needs an assistant that he can __ to take care of problems in his absence.
A. count up B. count on C. count out D. count in
10. The Beijing government has finally decided to cut subway __ by about 30 percent to boost public transport.
A. fees B. fares C. payments D. costs
11. None of the waiters were when Mr. Smith wanted to order dishes in the restaurant.
A. approachable B. applicable C. available D. attainable
12. After the neutral warm-up, US negotiating partners quickly the point.
A. see to B. get to C. leave out D. go by
13. A complete refining installation must include waste __ and water-treating equipment.
A. range B. dismissal C. survival D. disposal
14. In a given month, Friday is the 21 st day of the month. What day of the week was the 5th of the month?
A. Monday B. Thursday C. Saturday D. Wednesday
15. We all gather facts and ~ conclusions, but we have very different styles of thinking.
A.take B. receive C. pull D. draw
16. Alberta __ fourth in population among Canadian provinces.
A. ranks B. occupies C. arranges D. classifies
17. Methanol-fueled vehicles would __ an immediate lessening of urban air pollution.
A. attend to B. contribute to C. devote to D. attribute to
18. Love can __ imperfection.
A. resist B. sustain C. undergo D. tolerate
19. A veteran employee can ~ his knowledge and skills to the next generation.
A. transfer B. transport C. transform D. translate
20. ~ his high rank and position, the President takes social leadership almost over everyone else.
A. By right of B. By virtue of C. By name of D. By chance of